Pediatric Clinic located in Grand Prairie, TX
Regular well-child exams serve to protect your child’s health and establish a strong foundation for a lifetime of wellness. The team at Acclaim Pediatrics in Grand Prairie, Texas, offer well-child exams for kids from infancy to adolescence. To schedule a well-child exam, call or schedule an appointment online today.
Well-Child Exam Q & A
What is a well-child exam?
A well-child exam is a focused, regular assessment of your child's health. The Acclaim Pediatrics team customizes each well-child exam to fit your child's age and specific health needs, during a time when they are not acutely ill.
Well-child exams begin when your little one is an infant and extend through young adulthood. Regular examinations help track and monitor your child's health, as well as:
- Build trust between your child and their pediatrician
- Create a chance to update vaccinations
- Help identify risks or signs of illness
- Assess for signs of developmental or cognitive issues
- Educate both you and your child regarding their health
- Encourage healthy habits
- Determine the need for referrals or specialty services
A well-child exam gives your pediatric team a baseline for your child's health, which is helpful if they are ever ill or have concerning symptoms that may need further attention.
How often does my child need a well-child exam?
Well-child exams begin at birth, as part of comprehensive newborn care, and last until your child is in their late teens. The Acclaim Pediatrics team recommends that well-child exams coincide with the childhood vaccination schedule suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
During the first year of your child's life, they have well-child exams at:
- Two weeks
- One month
- Two months
- Four months
- Six months
- Nine months
- 12 months
After your little one celebrates their first birthday, they get well-child exams at:
- 15 months
- 18 months
- Two years
- 30 months
- Three years
From four years old until 19 years old, well-child exams take place yearly. It works best for many families to schedule well-child exams at the beginning of the school year to meet the need for annual school physicals.
What happens during a well-child exam?
The Acclaim Pediatrics team customizes each well-child exam to fit the specific developmental needs of each child. Babies and teens have different needs, and their regular assessments should reflect their physical, emotional, and mental changes.
During your child's visit, the team:
- Collects height, weight, and vital signs
- Assesses their vision, hearing, and coordination
- Looks inside their ears, nose, and mouth
- Listens to their lungs, heart, and belly
- Observes their gross and fine motor skills
- Collects blood or urine, if needed
- Evaluates their developmental and emotional health
- Administers vaccines per the CDC recommendations
The team looks for signs of common developmental and cognitive concerns, such as autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or learning disabilities. As your child ages, the well-child exam provides a safe place to discuss issues, such as safe-sex practices, anxiety, or substance abuse issues.
To schedule a well-child exam, call or book an appointment online today with Acclaim Pediatrics.